I just finished reading The Female Brain (Dr. Louann Brizendine MD) and learned some fascinating facts about the neurochemical make-up of women and how it impacts our behavior. Here are some interesting nuggets I came away with:

1. The neurochemical make-up of men dictates whether or not they will be faithful. There is a gene that codes for a particular kind of vasopressin receptor in the brain, which comes in seventeen different lengths. Males with longest gene variation are the most reliable and trustworthy partners. Therefore, this is the only size that matters when seeking a long-term mate.

2. The female brain is nature’s default setting. From conception until eight weeks, the fetal brain has the circuitry pathways of the female brain. After eight weeks, a huge testosterone surge makes this unisex brain male by killing off some of the cells in the communication centers and growing the areas dedicated to sex and aggression.

3. Women are not prone to fidelity any more than men are. Women are subconsciously looking for the men with the best genes to father their children. Symmetrical features are a signal of good genes, and therefore women are drawn to men with more symmetrical structures. When a woman is single, she is looking for men that can help her raise and protect her family. Once the home is established, the biological need to sneak around with men who have the best genes still persists.

4. Mommies fall “in love” with their babies. Research has shown that tender nurturing and breast-feeding that a mother experiences with her child releases bursts of dopamine, the reward and pleasure chemical, just as it does in romantic love.

5. No cold feet. In order for a woman to have an orgasm during sex, her amygdala, the center for fear and anxiety must be turned off. Women need to be comfortable and have their feet warm before they feel like having sex.

6. The switch from the giddy intensity of romance to the calmer, less passionate long-term relationship state is nature’s way of decreasing a couple’s focus on each other so that they can care for a new child.

7. The female brain is much more adept at reading subtle facial and verbal emotional expressions. Men, on the other hand, cannot read emotions—it’s only when they see actual tears that they realize that something is wrong. This is why women have evolved to cry four times more than men do, to signal distress that men cannot ignore.

8. Love hurts—literally. Romantic rejection triggers the same circuits in the brain, as does physical pain.

9. Menopause has the result of the “mommy brain” getting unwired. At about the age of forty-three, the female brain changes to become less sensitive to estrogen and oxytocin, the “tending” neurochemicals, and women are less inclined to nurture, connect, or establish connections like they did in their prior years. This kind of change usually baffles everyone around them.

10. Women are only half as likely to be gay as men. An estimated 5-10 percent of the female population is estimated to have same-sex attraction, but the female brain is only half as likely to be wired for same sex attraction as the male brain.

-- This article is reprinted from WomenCo.

Article Info & Options:
Date: 15 Sep 2008 | Author: mesmerX | Category: News | Views: 34229

» TrackBack
» RSS

Enojyed this article? Share it and let others know:
Share/Bookmark

Comments: 20

Frankain O'Peter Omer | 2 Aug 2012 - 07:37
There's actually a lot truth. i wonder, whe the blazes u some fucking guys are bad mouthin 'bout these axiomatic ideas

Brittany | 17 Jul 2012 - 05:24
I disagree with number 5. Rape victims have orgasms and you can't tell me that they are comfortable with their situation.

Guest | 20 Jun 2011 - 16:01
smile good one....exactly explaining me....it helped me to get me out from the confusions about myself....impressed...!!

Guest | 22 May 2011 - 06:25
And let's not forget the important" fact" that women need 24 hours of romantic stimulation in order to be ready for sex!!!

Guest | 19 Jan 2011 - 18:29
Men, next time your wife or girlfriend breaks it off with you make sure to reject her in every way and show lack of interest and she will come crawling back! It creates longing. They are wired that way!
I read the book for this info only! Priceless!

Guest | 18 Jan 2011 - 03:29
#7 really? another theory is that we openly express sadness/crying due to socio-cultural factors- not biological ones. boys don't cry and if they do they are referred to as cry babys and sissies. that will teach our men/boys to avoid experiencing or acknowledging emotion. then someone can write a book about their less than adequate emotional intelligence.

mimi | 25 Dec 2010 - 22:52
8 is sooo true! I do not know why it has to be in this list about the female brain .....it's human nature!

Guest | 21 Dec 2010 - 04:57
smile

Guest | 4 Sep 2010 - 06:04
I respectfully disagree with number 7. My husband picks up on my subtle facial expressions and my tone of voice way better than my female friends. Even female friends I've been close to since childhood.

Sexyamor | 8 Aug 2010 - 23:26
Love the idea and the explaination of the female brain Looking forward to getting the book

Guest | 24 Jun 2010 - 00:17
i love this! i gotta buy the book.

idiots | 15 Dec 2009 - 15:38
laughing
#10......no facts no truth!!
whoever wrote this is bumbling idiot!!
for #10 there aren't any explanatory facts or supporting theory's that may prove this statement true.
laughing

Guest | 15 Dec 2009 - 15:33
angry
You sexist pig! You are an idiot!!

Guest | 4 Dec 2009 - 20:31

unknown | 15 Dec 2009 - 15:30
were are the facts? these are mostly based on theory ..... there arent any experiments explained that prove these statements, so therfore until a theory is proven it is just a theory. And All Of These Are Theory's!!!!

Guest | 4 Dec 2009 - 09:31
wink Interesting. I'm always looking for a good male-bashing book. You women always have a way of making it easy for polygyny to exist. For each woman who believes in the ten things the article mentioned, there is another woman who doesn't. Therefore, I'll take a #6 and #5, leaving room for a #1. You'll catch that one in a few. It may go over your head intially; especially, if you've been #8. LMAO. I'll go get this book and read open-mindedly. I promise. --JOEY (joeylhodges@gmail.com)

Guest | 27 Nov 2009 - 23:25
wassat

^
Only did it to fit in.

Guest | 15 Oct 2009 - 20:12
No. 5 is not quite correct. The book says women need to have warm feet to have an orgasm, not to feel like having sex. The two are not the same.

Guest | 31 Aug 2009 - 21:44